Sunday, December 13, 2015

Be the 4th Member

This week will forever be remembered for me as a TURNING POINT in my Mission. On Wednesday in our lideres de distrito meeting with the Zone leaders they focused on how those people who will be saved will be saved despite our efforts (DyC 137:7-8). They then spoke to us about the importance of this time as missionaries, for ourselves, and our personal salvation. This hit me like a ton of bricks. The words in DyC 4:4 hit me hard "quien mete su hoz con toda su fuerza atesora para si de modo que no perece si no que trai salvación  a su propia alma..." I then realized more than in any other moment in my mission, and in my life that I am here to save myself. 

This week I read a talk that has changed my perspective on being a good, faithful, dilligent missionary, or being the 4th missionary, a disciple of Jesus Christ. The talk is called "The Fourth Missionary" by Lawrence E. Corbridge. Two quotes that touched me: "The third missionary is a faithful laborer in Christ's work. The fourth missionary is a disciple of Christ." I am learning more and more the importance of giving my will to the Lord. I understand that there is a huge difference from doing the will of the Lord, and fulfilling, and truly giving my will to Him - giving Him my mind, and heart. "This way, the Lord's way, is in the end, easier. It is easier to give yourself to Him than it is to wrestle in your heart and soul between what you want and what the Lord wants, between the natural man and your divine nature... You will want to follow Him because it is the only intelligent thing to do."

We have a new zone Lema: Diligentes - Inteligentes -Fieles a Dios. Tuxtla Mactumatza. 

Miracles were ever present this week, first, Uribe was baptized. He was a young man we contacted on the street. It was around 8:55pm, and we were heading home when we saw him and his co-worker standing outside of a house, we approached him, contacted him, and invited him to church for that Sunday. A few days later on Saturday night we were on our way to a cita when we quickly contacted him until he told us we had already invited him to church. As Sunday morning came around we saw a familar young man walk into sacrament meeting, little to know, it was him, our street contact. During the time I have here in Chiapas very few people have come when we invite them without teaching them. Uribe came, and never stopped coming. Saturday at his baptism he told us: "Congratulations sisters, you have just saved a soul that was very lost." On Sunday when they confirmed him a member of the church and gave him a blessing it said that he would be the medium for his entire family to come to know this beautiful gospel. I will admit, I shed a tear, or two during his confirmation. 

Alex, the 22yr. old with four previous asistencias is still preparing to be baptized on May 9th. We had an incredible lesson about the plan of salvation, he mentioned to us that he wants his entire family to join the church with him, but that he understands he will be the medio for this to happen. He is a special young man. It always strikes me the moments the spirit chooses to teach us. During this lesson it was as I bore my testimony that the plan of salvation, is God's way of letting us choose to be saved. How true this is.

Third miracle of the week, but definitely not the last is named Ricardo. Last week as Hna. Hickman and I were walking through the streets we heard a young man talk to us, we turned around and he asked us: "Are you missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ?" We told him we were, and he told us that his girlfriend is LDS, and he had attended church with her, and wanted us to visit him. We did, and he is now preparing to be baptized May 23rd.

I will forever be grateful for these tender miracles with which the Lord provides opportunities of growth. I have thought often of the person I hope to be, here, and for-forever. I desire to not just be a disciple of Jesus Christ on the mission but to be the 4th member, not just a faithful, obedient member of the church, but one who Christ, and our Father in Heaven truly trust, rely on, and seek to use to help bless the lives of others. 

I know we have a Father in heaven, He lives, He loves us, He desires for us to be happy - to experience everlasting joy. This is His true church. I want to challenge you to read this talk, and look for those attributes that will make you "The 4th member". I hope it touches you all as much as it did me. 

With all the Love en mi corazón,
Hermana Coronado

At Uribe's baptism, we bought him a triple and a hymn book. The member that baptized him Hno. Carlos gave him a couple of ties and showed him how to tie them so that he can wear them to church. 


No comments:

Post a Comment